Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wild Boar fell.

The walk today goes up Wild Boar fell twixt the Yorkshire dales and the Howgills. This walk is mostly on open access land where dogs are not allowed to go. I ignore this sort of stuff and always take lassie.
On a clear sunny day the scenery is as good as anywhere and on a frosty day the ground is hard otherwise it would be a real bog fest.
Navigating is the name of the game up here and here are my mates doing some.
The Settle to Carlisle railway  runs down through the valley and crosses the Smardale viaduct.
We took a good few stops to admire the view and try and find the path.
Anybody who is better than me with a camera could get some cracking shots..I think I may need a UV filter to get a clearer picture.
The fells round here are enormous.See how this farm is dwarfed by the surrounding hills.

On top of the Nab there are a series of cairns.If you know the origin of these then do tell.From a distance we thought there was a bunch of people up there.
All in all this is a long and tiring walk of about 12 miles and the going is a bit tough underfoot. As the daylight started to fade I put on my head torch and we came across some animal neglect.

This Shetland pony was frozen solid next to an empty plastic container. Under normal circumstances I would have gone to the farm and told them about their pony but it was off the route and didn't look very welcoming..

No comments:

Post a Comment